About DeafKidz International
A world where Deaf, hard of hearing, deafened and DeafBlind children, young people and adults are able to live safely and without fear of abuse and exploitation.
With safeguarding at the heart of all we do, DeafKidz International aims to respond comprehensively to the protection, health, wellbeing and access to education needs of deaf children, young people and adults worldwide.
Why our work is needed
Deafness is the third largest disability globally with 466 million deaf people worldwide yet it remains the least resourced. The abuse and exploitation of deaf children is endemic, with deaf children three times more likely to be abused than hearing children, but safeguarding and protection networks lack the means to support deaf survivors/victims of abuse and deaf children at risk. Deaf children face barriers to accessing services and support from teachers, social workers, police workers, medical staff and the justice system, often due to the lack of deaf awareness and resources available to these professionals who are unable to effectively communicate with or support the needs of deaf children. In low-middle income countries often children are not even diagnosed as being deaf which exacerbates risk of abuse and prevents them from accessing vital support they need.
DeafKidz International seeks to address the vital gaps in meeting the safeguarding and protection needs of deaf children and reducing risk and vulnerability while supporting deaf children, young people and adults to lead their fullest lives ensuring equal and rightful access to health, education and employment as their hearing peers.
What we do
DeafKidz International is a deaf-led organisation, with safeguarding and protection of deaf children, young people and adults at the centre of all our work.
We prevent and mitigate the abuse of deaf children, young people and vulnerable adults
- We are developing DeafKidz Defenders interactive, accessible games aimed to educate and empower deaf children on how to stay safe online from abuse and exploitation.
- Our Signing Safe Futures project in Jamaica, is raising awareness of Gender Based Violence (GBV), training deaf coaches to deliver workshops to deaf women and girls on GBV and risk-reduction activities reinforced through martial arts and dance.
We reduce risk and vulnerability by ensuring accessibility and removing barriers to communication for deaf children, young people and adults
- Our DeafKidz Goal! project with Slum Soccer, responds to the life skills needs of deaf children and young people living in the slums and on the streets in India, through football coaching, training deaf football coaches and training Slum Soccer staff in deaf awareness and sign language.
- In Zambia we deliver Zambian Sign Language training for teachers and parents/guardians of deaf students to help improve communication and inclusion of deaf children at home and at school.
We ensure deaf children, young people and adults have equal access to health, education and economic opportunities
- Our projects across Sub-Saharan Africa and Pakistan are increasing access to ear and hearing care by setting up services in hospitals and clinics, training local staff and providing outreach screening to local communities and schools with our mobile clinics.
- Our Signing Safe Futures project with Deaf Reach in Pakistan is providing educational and parenting support videos in Pakistani Sign Language and Urdu to deaf children and their families.
We enhance deaf-led representation and advocacy, empowering international, regional, national and local organisations of and for deaf people to represent and advocate the rights of the deaf communities they serve.